About Me

A culmination of my travelling experiences....

Tuesday 12 April 2011

I think I've got Malaria

Today I woke up with a bad cold- the perfect excuse to use my favourite African joke- "I think I've got Malaria", a phrase I like to repeat at any menial syptom.  Regardless, me and Tutu set off back to Galilea for one last visit, and conducted interviews for our dissertations with the P6 class.  Generally the schools have varied in their approach to our research, some have insisted that children can't miss classes, and so we have had to utilise break and lunch times, where as others, as in Galilea, have just allowed us free access to whichever students we choose.  The results for Galilea provided an interesting comparison in my study, and a difference that I would have expected, as not many of the students worked.  The school is a long way from a market, and the area in which it is located is quite rural, meaning that there are far fewer employment opportunities for the students within close proximity to their homes.  The school manager however did say that some of the older students fish on the lake (which is right next to the school) at weekends, which is interesting to note, however I expect that this was mainly JH, as none of P6 said that they did this.

After the interviews we left the school, as we needed to go to Kasoa later, and took a trip to Shoprite for cash and lunch provisions, and then back to the hotel for a break.  We went down to Kasoa school mid afternoon in order to get there before the students left, for some ICT.  The computers were on, but slow, and most of the students that got logged on had not received emails back from their 'pen-pals' in Newcastle, so there wasn't all that much we could do, and to finish the troubles off, lights went off so we went home!

No comments:

Post a Comment